Friday, April 4, 2014

Book Haul [Library Edition]: March/April 2014




A library book haul!
I like doing these because I don't think the majority of people know just how much you can find at your local library branch. I put most of these books on hold (because they are often not available at my closest location). But if I'm the first to do so, it will usually arrive within a few days. The only books you have to wait great lengths for are recent bestsellers.

Since these are a mix of some I picked up towards the end of March and ones I just picked up this morning, I've already finished a couple of these (you might remember them in my March Reading Update).

My favorite thing to do, once I pick up a bunch, is go home and read the first page of each. From there, I decide what will be reading first and what may be read simultaneously.

Today's post will feature quite a selection, including science fiction, fantasy, contemporary, and more. 

Stay tuned to find out what I checked out from my local library. I hope it inspires you to check out your own!


As per tradition, here's my bird's eye view shot. I love laying them out and just looking at all the different covers.




If you would like to know more about each book, keep reading.




~SCIENCE FICTION~

Ancillary Justice - Ann Leckie (2013)
Genre: Science Fiction > Space Opera
Comments: New popular speculative science fiction novel. Borrowed it on a whim.


Timeline - Michael Crichton (1999)
Genre: Science Fiction > Time travel
Comments: I like time travel stories and thought I'd check this one out.


Ready Player One - Ernest Cline (2011)
Genre: Science Fiction > Dystopia
Comments: Finally checked this one out. It's been at the back of my list for quite some time.




~FANTASY~

American Vampire, Vol. 1 - Scott Snyder, et al. (2010)
Genre: Comics > Paranormal
Comments: Following all my raving about the Locke & Key series, my boyfriend recommended I start this one. His recommendations (even ones he hasn't read) have all been great so I have high hopes for this one.


Hollow City - Ransom Riggs (2014)
Genre: YA > Fantasy/Paranormal
Comments: I put this on hold quite a while before it came out (4 months ago) and it finally arrived. I had better read quickly because I know this is one book I won't be able to renew.




~CONTEMPORARY~

Genre: Contemporary > Cultural
Comments: I heard raves about this title last year and put it on hold when I saw it on the front page of the library. I honestly have no idea what it's about.


Me Before You - Jojo Moyes (2013)
Genre: Contemporary > Romance
Comments: Just another random Goodreads find that caught my attention because of its title, cover, and high ratings.



The Spectacular Now - Tim Tharp (2008)
Genre: Contempoary > YA
Comments: I immediately saw the film adaptation for this book when it came out last year, and I enjoyed it immensely. It didn't know if I wanted to read the book, since the movie was already so successful, but I have obviously changed my mind. I've heard comments that the book and movie are quite different, so we'll see which I like more.


The Goldfinch - Donna Tartt (2013)
Genre: Contemporary > Adult
Comments: I think I've had this book on hold for the last 7(?) months, but that's expected. This book was mentioned nonstop as one of the best novels of the year, and, of course, I couldn't let a book with such high praise out of my sight.




~CHILDREN'S~

Genre: Children's > Adventure
Comments: A random children's find. Not much else to say for this one.




~NON-FICTION~

Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead - Sheryl Sandberg (2013)
Genre: Non-fiction > Business
Comments: I've actually already read and reviewed this one. I got it just a little over a week ago and finished it in a couple days. Full review here.



Regarding the Pain of Others - Susan Sontag (2003)
Genre: Non-fiction > Essays
Comments: I read some fiction by Susan Sontag a couple years back and thought I'd check out some essays.



Dog Songs - Mary Oliver (2013)
Genre: Non-fiction > Poetry
Comments: Another one I already read. It's a book, primarily of poems, about dogs. I can't imagine someone who isn't a dog-lover enjoying this.



When You Are Engulfed In Flames - David Sedaris (2007)

Genre: Non-fiction > Essays
Comments: I've already consumed so much Sedaris, but I think I have room for a bit more. This is another collection of essays, and I look forward to it like I have with all his essay collections. 





And that concludes this library book haul!
I am most excited for Ancillary Justice, American Vampire, and The Goldfinch.
Many reviews to come. 

And thanks for reading, as always :)

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know the next Miss Peregrine was out, I'll have to look for that! The Goldfinch is on my to-read list too, and I've recently started reading Sedaris. Me Before You is one of my favourites, I hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love hearing what others favorites are. That makes me infinitely more excited to read Me Before You knowing that it's one of yours.

      Delete