Sunday, December 30, 2012

2013 New Year Resolutions

When it comes to New Year resolutions, I'm definitely of the kind who believe that it doesn't need to be a new year in order to set new goals. But a new set of 12 months are great markers for change and improvement. And if something can motivate individuals to change for the better, why not embrace it?

runner, Nike photo)

So without the lengthy introduction that I'm prone to supplying, here's my new year resolutions for 2013! (subject to editing if I can think of more)

1. Complete a marathon, more specifcally, the Nike's Women's Marathon in October.

By the time I graduated high school, the longest distance I had ever run was 1.5 miles and even that was rare (only during badminton conditioning). I never thought I could be a consistent runner and said on numerous occasions that I hated running. However, around the beginning of December 2011, I decided that I wanted to be a runner and I'm very proud of how far I've come. Even when I started my running routine, I never considered doing a marathon, but now I welcome the challenge.


2. Run a 7 minute mile.

Another running resolution! I am a very, very, very slow runner. And aside from this, I take at least a mile before my muscles feel warmed up. So I rarely work on improving my mile time. But when I did, I got it down to 8 minutes exactly (a big improvement for me). I want to push my limits and see if I can get it down to 7 minutes. I realize that is very doable for many people, and if you're one of those, then I admire your ability to do so. But this resolution would be miraculous for me to accomplish (I would honestly be very satisfied with 7:30). But resolutions aren't about settling and I don't intend to do so.


3. I want to limit myself to 3 new nail polishes a month. At 3 polishes a month (assuming I purchase nothing higher than the $8 limit) the yearly cost would equal $288. That amount is still very high for nail polish which brings me to next sub-resolution:

3.5. If possible, all nail polishes will be purchased with discount coupon or off a discount site (no Essie/China Glaze/OPI/Revlon/Sally Hansen/etc. at full price). That will hopefully bring the $288 down quite a bit.


4. Complete 60 books by the end of 2013. My goal for 2012 was 50 and I thrive on improvement. I will update a 2013 reading list in a couple days so keep an eye out for that if you're interested!


5. Write 1 book review per week. Pretty self-explanatory.


6. Complete 1 novel or a compilation of short stories. Maybe complete NaNoWriMo for the first time?


7. Write 1 essay every month. This one may sound somewhat strange, but I have read some great essays (David Foster Wallace's "Consider the Lobster") and if I can find things I'm passionate about, I would love to divulge into them more with a set goal in mind. 1 essay a month should be fairly reasonable. If I'm pleased with the result, I may share them here. 


That's all for now.
And like I mentioned earlier, this list is subject to change (most likely additions rather than deletions).

Comment with yours if you have any. Maybe I can find one to steal. (;

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to 6 +7. Always eager to read more of your original works :D! Goodluck! Goodluck! I should buckle down my list...soon.

    ReplyDelete